Wednesday 9 May 2012

Plants for cake


A colleague who is a keen gardener and fortunate enough to have a greenhouse as well as green fingers, offered me some excess plants grown from seed.  As I haven't anywhere other than an open porch to store such gifts we agreed to wait for the frosts to finish, it felt like an age but finally today is delivery day!

I was told to expect some spare Cosmos, but actually I've been generously bestowed with dianthus, a fern, some dwarf sunflowers, a tomato plant, a pot geranium, and a fiery burgundy-leafed plant which I was told was "Firecracker" but doesn't look like any of the the Google images I've found.

I'm over the moon especially now that, as the bluebells that are covering the garden right now can only last a few more weeks, I'm panicking that the garden will look sparse over Summer.  I just have to work out where to put it all for maximum impact.  I offered cake in return, and was told that Ginger is a favourite, so here's my payment  - a Nigel Slater Double Ginger Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment