Sunday 18 December 2011

Hand-me-downs


I'd asked for some gardening tools for my birthday, being so bereft in this department that, in desperating to start digging the path beds when we first moved in, I had borrowed a garden fork from my boss.

My priorities were some topiary shears for keeping the shrubs in the back garden shaped in half the time it took me to go around with a pair of secateurs, a shovel (I had also become tired of picking up armfuls of swept arisings to carry to the green waste bin) and, if the budget stretched, a pruning saw (to take my pruning efforts to the next level!).

In the end I received generous amounts of money from my family which will more than fund my gardening shopping list, but Mum took me into the garage and offered me a selection of hand-me-down tools where she'd acquired duplicates or upgraded versions over the years.  Oddly enough, I feel more pleasure at being given these old friends from our garden than I am with the thought of an Amazon delivery.  Don't they look grand?


No comments:

Post a Comment